The Chicago Health Atlas a place where you can view citywide information about health trends and take action near you to improve your own health.
We display large amounts of data from sources like the City of Chicago and local hospitals so you can get big-picture views of health outcomes in Chicago.
If you are a health data provider and would like to take part in this project, please complete this form and we will contact you right away!
Here’s a look at a neighborhood page showing demographics and other info at a glance:
The Otho S. A. Sprague Memorial Institute is the primary funder of the Chicago Health Atlas project. Additional funds were made available from the Broadband Technology Opportunities Project Public Computer Centers grant.
We work with the Chicago Department of Public Health and five local hospitals through Chicago Health Information Technology Regional Extension (CHITREC) to visualize statistics related to public health along with anonymized diagnoses, medications, and laboratory tests as provided by local healthcare institutions.
We contract with the team at Purple Binder to provide an API into their directory of thousands of health, social service, education, and other locations throughout the city. This is the source of all of the data displayed on our neighborhood resources pages (Archer Heights, for example).
- The Chicago Health Atlas project was presented at the American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) National Symposium here in Chicago on November 6
- The project (or more specifically, our zip codes) were featured on the GitHub blog: There’s a map for that. This post led to 175 forks and counting
Jim Alexander is the Executive Director of the Otho S. A. Sprague Memorial Institute. His thinking about health information has been critical to the direction of this project.
Here’s all blog posts we’ve published about this project:
- Kyla Williams on WBEZ Tech Shift, Talking Chicago Health Atlas
- Complete Data Set of Medicare Payments to Doctors and Suppliers in Chicago
- The New Chicago Health Atlas
- Health Datapalooza: Deep dive into health data