Civic Works was a program funded by the Knight Foundation and the Chicago Community Trust to spur support for civic innovation in Chicago. The program goals are to produce 200 content pieces, 5 apps that solve government problems, and 5 apps that solve community problems.
The project had five top-level goals:
- Work with government entities to make more public data available
- Create an online publication providing news and analysis on open government
- Help government agencies to use their own data to improve public services
- Engage non-profit organizations on efforts to find community solutions that are based on public data and data collected by their own organizations
- Identify technology solutions benefiting government performance and community solutions that can be sustained by the private markets